You’ve been up most of the night caring for your new baby.
The last thing you’re probably thinking about is starting a new exercise routine.
I get it; I’ve been there. I’ve learned over the years that when I spend a little bit of time each day caring for myself, I’m able to be a better spouse and a better Mom.
Exercise helps increase your energy and helps ease all of the physical discomforts caused by pregnancy and labor, it helps fight baby blues, decreases stress, sets a positive example for your new child, and so much more.
So how do I work out with my new baby?
- Timing is everything. Make sure baby has a clean diaper, has been fed AND burped, and is wearing proper clothing to stay comfortable. Once your baby is ready to go, you should have a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Pack the night before. You’ve probably heard this before and it’s true, preparing the night before will ensure your morning runs more smoothly. Whether you’re joining a mommy and me class or heading outside to walk, get the diaper bag ready. Make sure everything you and your baby needs are packed and ready to go.
- Set your clothes out. Getting out the door with a new baby can be time-consuming. Set your clothes out the night before so you can be efficient with your time in the morning. Plus, seeing your clothes will help keep you accountable!
- Grab a friend. Working out with friends is so much more enjoyable and connecting socially with other Moms is so important. It will also help keep you accountable and provide a great support system.
- Embrace the gear. There will be times when your baby only wants to be held even after all of their needs are met. You can secure your child in a baby carrier (such as an ERGO) and work out with them. You can power walk, lunge, squat, and do most activities with your baby in the carrier.
So, there you have it, Mama!
Having a new baby at home is such a joy and blessing–Let your little one be your motivation and your WHY for moving daily! Anything you would add–what has worked for you Mama? Share below–love to hear from you!